Marlena is an Enrolled Agent.
What does that mean exactly?

Enrolled agents are tax specialists enrolled with the Federal Department of Treasury to be agents for taxpayers. There are three professionals who can represent taxpayers before all levels of the IRS: CPAs, attorneys, and enrolled agents. CPAs and attorneys are licensed by the state. Enrolled agents are licensed by the U.S. Department of the Treasury. Only part of the CPA and attorney exams cover tax law. The entire exam for enrolled agents is on tax law. Continuing education for enrolled agents is required by tax law.

EAs advise and represent taxpayers before the IRS who are being examined, taxpayers who are unable to pay, and taxpayers who wish to avoid or recover penalties. EAs prepare tax returns for individuals, partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts and any other entities with tax-reporting requirements. Unlike attorneys and CPAs, who may or may not choose to specialize in taxes, all EAs specialize in taxation and are required by the federal government to maintain their professional skills with continuing professional education.

Learn more about enrolled agents at